Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Starting at Home

| Guest Post | Nathan Foster |


How do we know when we are loved?  Is it that look of acceptance, a smile and warm embrace?  Or is it when someone buys us crap we don’t need or lets us have our own way?  The ultimate expression of love has to be taking a bullet for someone, losing your life so someone else can live. You know, the Jesus way.  A heroic stranger sacrifices her own life to save that of a child about to be struck down by a wayward semi.  Our heroine just gave the child what potential time on earth she had left so that the kid could have more.  Minus the potential pain, dying for someone is giving them lots of potential time.  When we share our time, is this not the pinnacle of human sacrifice? 

Time lets us know that we are loved.  In periods of isolation or sadness when someone shares their time, it doesn’t just mean a lot-- it means everything.  The only thing I have any control over is what I do in this fleeting moment.  Time, my most valuable possession is quite possibly my only real possession.  (Excerpt from Wisdom Chaser).


I used to think that God wanted me to convince people to say a prayer that I didn’t really understand.  I now think God wants me to love others, starting with those living in my home.  My son and daughter only get one biological father and my wife only gets one first husband.  I know all this, yet I still struggle to showing up and just rest in the presence of my family.  I have the hardest time putting everything away and just being with them.  Sometimes I think having a flexible work schedule only makes being present more difficult.

I wonder if we could share with each other about how you create space to be available to our families?

The question I’d really like help with is how do you determine when you’ve given enough?  

===============
Nathan Foster is assistant professor of social work at Spring Arbor University (Spring Arbor, Michigan). He has been a counselor and founded/directed Door of Hope Counseling (Arvada, Colorado). He is married and has two children.  Nathan is also the author of Wisdom Chaser (Intervarsity Press - April 2010).  You can keep up with what Nathan is working on at www.nathanfosterprojects.com. You can find him on Facebook and Twitter.  You can also reach him at wisdom[dot]chaser[at]yahoo[dot]com.