Wednesday, June 2, 2010

When You Pray...



One of the biggest pitfalls that those of us in ministry leadership face is getting too caught up in the 'doing' of ministry that we cease to simply 'be' with Jesus.


Prayer is meant to be the life-line between Jesus and His followers.  It's meant to be the means by which we bring our will into conformity with His.  It's meant to be a means through which He shapes us, prepares us, equips us and speaks to us - in every way - for everything.


Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me ~ Jesus (John 15.4).



Do we really believe this is true?  
Do we really believe that apart from Jesus we can bear no fruit?
Does our prayer life reflect this?
Does our ministry reflect this?
Do our students reflect this?
How might our priorities need to change?
Are we really willing to make the necessary changes?


What do you think?


I'm challenged this morning, especially with all of the space that the summer months provide, to prayerfully [re]assess my priorities, and make whatever adjustments God seems to point to, so that what happens in my life and ministry are - without a doubt - what God desires to see happen.


Aside from any comments you might post below, I wonder if you'd be willing to share [anonymously, of course] how many hours a week you typically spend in prayer [in the poll on the sidebar].  I know it can be hard to take too closely a look at ourselves, and somewhat vulnerable to share with others [even anonymously], but I believe we all have something to learn from each other as we do.


Grace and peace to you today... and thanks for stopping by Faith ON Campus.