Tuesday, June 15, 2010

SICM and Nathan Foster


I'm leaving later today for one of my favorite places (at least in the US) - Whidbey Island.  

For the last several years the CCCU (Coalition of Christian Colleges and Universities) has hosted a Summer Institute for Campus Ministry (SICM) on this quaint little island off the coast of Seattle.  
Dr. Keith Anderson (President of Mars Hill Graduate School) and Rev. Bill Fischer (Dean of Christian Faith & Life at Huntington University) are the co-creators of this retreat-style spiritual formation experience and have served as co-hosts since the retreats' inception.  
I have attended this event  4 or 5 times now and it always seems to be the perfect mix of instruction, conversation, activity and relaxation.  The size (typically between 25 and 40 attendees) has always drawn me in as well!

This is a great place for me to be with colleagues and friends, to be renewed and encouraged in the midst of my summer, and to be challenged and shaped in some intentional ways.

This year's theme is 'Learning Spiritual Formation' and the plan is to focus on:
  • How we learn spiritual formation?
  • What is an effective way of spiritual formation that is always learning?
  • What elements of formation are necessary for us to learn so that we may teach?

We'll be led by the likes of:
  • Dr. Jerry Sittser, Professor of Theology at Whitworth University,
  • Dr. Jo-Ann Badley, Professor of Biblical Studies at Mars Hill Graduate School, and
  • Dr. Ken Badley, Director of the Doctor of Education program at George Fox University
I'm excited for the next few days and how God will be present among us.  I'm praying that He will really bless my time and I hope to blog about some of my learnings on Thursday and Friday.

===============

I also wanted to take this chance to introduce Nathan Foster, to those of you who may not know him, as he will be guest-posting here the next 3 Wednesdays.  


Nathan is assistant professor of social work at Spring Arbor University (Spring Arbor, Michigan). He has been a counselor and founded/directed Door of Hope Counseling (Arvada, Colorado). He is married and has two children. He is an avid cyclist and still dreams of mountain adventures.


Speaking of mountains, Nathan is also the author of Wisdom Chaser. It is his memoir of finding his way as a 20-something, as well as finding his dad (author Richard Foster) - who he had really struggled to understand and relate to - as they climbed a number of "fourteeners" in Colorado.


I asked Nathan a few weeks ago if he'd be willing to share some of his story, and facilitate any conversation that might ensue, because I believe that those of us involved in the work of ministry with college students are continually trying to find the balance between ministry and family, work life and home life - and we might have something to learn from his story - and ours as we share them.

I'm thankful for Nathan's willingness to contribute to the conversation we have here, and hopeful that God will use him to challenge and instruct us all.  I look forward to our upcoming conversations.

Grace and peace.