Thursday, June 17, 2010

Towards Thin Places

"God is calling you into His presence!"

This was a statement made by the worship leader last night during our opening time of worship at the Summer Institute for Campus Ministry (SICM).

He went on to confess that on more than a couple of occasions this past year he was approached by different students who would say, "I'm not sure why, but I feel like I'm supposed to tell you that God wants you to come into His presence."


Can you imagine being on the receiving end of a comment like this?  How do you think you'd have received it?  With excitement!?  Or maybe some levels of embarrassment?  Did this student know something?  Did I NOT know something?


Our reality is that we do life in the thick of it.  And while God exists in the thick places, just as much as He does in the thin places, we typically have a much easier time experiencing Him in those thin places.

Our ministry contexts are filled with demands, responsibilities, tasks, deadlines, opportunities, relationships, roles, etc.  Our home lives are filled with much of the same.  And these aren't bad things.  In fact, most (if not all) of them are things that we feel called by God to give our time, energy and attention to.  But they are also things that can make it harder for us to focus on God.

My time here on Whidbey Island has already served to remind me of my need to regularly get away.  I need to:

  • daily withdraw to be in His presence
  • weekly practice Sabbath
  • monthly take a day-long retreat
  • get away for a few days, a few times a year, to places that refresh, rejuvenate and create space for me to intentionally and simply be in the presence of the God who made me, called me and leads me.
Most of us don't get to live in the thin places.  But I am convinced that our time spent in these thin places will have a profound impact on each of us, as well as our ministries, relationships and efforts (both at work and at home).

Thin places.  Do you have enough of them in your life?