Thursday, June 10, 2010

Confessions of an "I"



Hi.  My name is Guy and I'm an introvert.


No, I'm not a recovering introvert, just one that needs to remind myself - and others - from time-to-time that God has made me this way.


I enjoy my cave time.  A LOT.  


The summers on campus often feel like a blissful hibernation of sorts.  Sure, there are the occasional meetings, interactions with other members of my staff, etc., but for the most part there's a lot of quiet space.  I like quiet space.


Sometimes I wonder, however, if being an "I" makes me less effective as a minister on campus.  Are there any other introverts out there that sometimes wonder this same thing?


I'm not only an introvert, but I'm a little on the shy side as well.  I know this is how God has created me, and I continue to believe that walking alongside college students is what He has called me to do, but I sometimes find myself wondering why He didn't give me one of those outgoing personality-types that loves to be up in front of crowds and constantly out there mixing it up with new people.  It seems like it would make my job a whole lot easier.


Today marks the start of our new student orientation on campus.  For the next two and half weeks the campus will be flooded with new students (and many of their parents)  for day and a half long information-saturating sessions.  I'm not sure I'm quite ready.


The bear is wakened from his hibernation and asked to push beyond his "I".  


I know summer orientation, and my involvement in it, is a good thing, a necessary thing.  
I believe that challenging these students, before they are even really on campus, to put Jesus first is SO critical. 
I know helping new students better understand how BU, as a Christian community, can greatly benefit and bless them over the course of their time here is a message they need to here.  
I believe that the face-to-face time that happens during these day and a half long visits can pay-off in some good and important ways in the fall.  
I know that creating some opportunities for parents and students to begin conversing about how the student will have to take ownership of their faith, faith development and intentional pursuit of Christ is vital.


Still, this bear longs for more rest and quiet space. 


Can you relate?



  1. What are some of the things you feel you have to "overcome" in order to do what God has called you to?
  2. Do you ever wonder why God created you the way He did given your unique calling?
  3. If there was one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be?



Feel free to share some of your story below.


Grace and peace.