Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Well Curve Trend

Over the past few years I have noticed a trend on campus that has me more than a little concerned.




Student involvement in ministry-related activities used to take on the form of a bell curve over the course of 4 years on campus.  



New students would slowly get involved as they integrated into their new community and became aware of new opportunities.  Their involvement would typically peak during their junior year as their influence and level of connectedness were also at their respective peaks.  And then, as their time and attention began to turn to internships and life after graduation, students would become less involved with on-campus ministry opportunities.

More recently, however, I've noticed that the once bell curve has become more of a well curve.



Students seem to be coming to campus much more informed about their options for involvement... and, at least initially, seek to take advantage of those opportunities.  But by the time they are getting into their sophomore year most seem to be abandoning their faith as a priority.  



It's not that they're walking away [although statistically a lot of that is happening during the college years].  In fact, most of our key leaders are sophomores and juniors... but outside of that, most of the students we see with consistency and regularity are freshmen or seniors.  But, on the campus I currently serve on, because of a message we seem to be sending both implicitly and explicitly - one that says: "If you want to 'make it,' if you want to become 'the next big thing,' than you must be willing to sacrifice everything and put absolutely EVERYTHING you have into it... OR you shouldn't expect it to happen... and you'll have no one to blame but yourself."  And this seems to be moving the majority of our sophomores and juniors off the radar and in many ways rendering them spiritually M-I-A.


The university experience is already a very self-centered experience.  


On our campus you add to it a performance and entrepreneurship focus and that self-centered orientation get multiplied.  Students in their sophomore and junior years are becoming obsessed with 'making it' at all costs... and it's not until sometime in their senior year that they seem to become aware of this obsessed orientation and find themselves wondering... WHAT HAVE I DONE?!


I have had too many conversations with seniors this year - students that I previously had no connection with at all - that have involved scenarios similar to what I've described above.  


They feel like they've been duped.  
They feel like they've lost some important years.  
They wish they had it to do over.  


I'm still trying to discern how God might want to counter this well curve of spiritual activity on our campus... but I know that it has to change!


I'm assuming that I'm not the only one seeing this.  I believe that this likely isn't a phenomenon unique to the university I work at.  


So what does this look like on your campus?


Have you found any meaningful ways to counter this well curve trend?


I can't wait to hear your stories!