Friday, October 16, 2009

When 'Walmart' moves to town

What do you do when a bigger, more well-known, more financially funded ministry moves in just down the street from you?

Rumor has it that this may be happening to us.

A very successful young adult ministry at a church about 20 minutes from our campus is rumored to be creating a satellite campus at the edge of our campus. This move would likely thwart many of the efforts that our young ministry has worked very hard at over the past few years.

We're not exactly sure what this will mean for us... how we will do what we do... or want to do.

One of the big conversations I've been having with some of you relates to the relationship between the campus and the church... and it looks like I might be forced to navigate some uncharted waters for me, our ministry here, and our campus community soon.

Have you experienced anything like this before? If so, how'd it go?

If I'm honest with you, I feel uneasy. My spirit senses that this could provide an immediate boost to our campus, but ultimately, leave us in a weakened state as an institution that is desperately trying to retain/gain it's Christian identity.

I'd love to hear any words of wisdom on this out there.

Please pray for our God's will to be done on our campus and in the lives of our students - for His glory!!

Grace and peace.