Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How Do You Decide?

How do you make decisions that shape your ministry with students?


More specifically, how do you decide what to speak on from week to week?  Semester to semester?  Year to year?  


Is there some method to the madness?  


Have you developed a 'rotation' of sorts that maps out a 4-year cycle of topics/themes that you hope to expose students to during the course of their years on campus.  Or do you take a more flexible, let's see how the Spirit is leading - or the campus is trending - kind of approach?


Although I've been engaged in campus ministry for 13 years now, I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to speaking in front of large groups of students...



To be honest with you, I've actually been on the run from this aspect of 'the job' for a number of years now.  Not feeling 'equipped' or 'gifted' in the ways I thought I needed to be.  But a couple of years ago I sensed God asking me to 'step up to the plate' and into this important role on our campus.  That's actually how I got into blogging and tweeting... a way of beginning to find my voice and put my thoughts out there for others...


So last year I took my first stab at it and it seemed to go OK. 


As I begin to look at the years ahead, and how God might want to work over the course of a student's stay with us, I find myself wondering which direction to go.  How do I decide what to speak - not just this semester, but for the next several semesters to come?


What do you think?

  • How do you make decisions about what to speak on?
  • Do you have a 4-year plan or cycle?  Or do you prefer to 'check the pulse' of the campus from semester to semester and plan your speaking schedule accordingly?  Or is it some combination of these two?
  • What are some of the themes that you want your students to be exposed to during their time with your ministry?
Thanks, as always, for joining the conversation!