Monday, August 31, 2009

on campus and into the classroom

I've been thinking about the classroom today...

It might have something to do with the fact that, for the next 8 weeks, my Monday's will include an 8 a.m. Old Testament class, as well as a 4-hour evening OT class.

Although I'm now into my 13th year of ministry on a university campus, this is only my 4th teaching in the classroom. Even though I work at a Christian university, I am not on the faculty, and my official job description does not consist of teaching any classes.

This is above and beyond.

So why do I do it? For a few reasons:

  1. I have found the classroom to be a great place to interact with students that I might not normally run into on campus. On average, I would say that of the 24 students that typically fill each class, only 2 or 3 per class would likely have come into the Office of University Ministries. So the classroom has become an incredible opportunity for relationships!
  2. I have found the classroom to be a great place to engage in important conversation. At Belmont, as a part of the core curriculum, students are required to take 2 religious studies courses - usually their 1st and 3rd years. Because of their required nature, these classes are typically filled with a spiritually diverse crowd... which, with a spirit of hospitality and charity, can be a great place for rich conversations!
  3. Being in the classroom seems to fuel the "learner" in me... which is something that needs to be fueled with great consistency, I believe! Our students are being challenged to think critically about new ideas, methods, and practices... how much sharper will we be as ministers if this becomes a practice of ours as well?
  4. Most adjunct appointments typically pay $1500-$2500 per class... which, when coupled with the first three reasons, is just a cherry on top!
As people who minister to college students we need to be on campus... all over campus! Getting into the classroom is a great "next step." Whether within the religious studies department, basic communications, or some other area that allows you to bring some of your knowledge and skill into an instructional environment, this is an opportunity full of potential! Having a chance to connect with students 1, 2, 3 or ever 4 times a week in a structured manner creates opportunities for relationships and conversations that might not otherwise have presented themselves.

Now is the time to begin exploring this opportunity on a campus near you for the winter or spring term. You never know how God might choose to use an opportunity like this...